- 642 kWh of electricity.
- 76 gallons of oil.
- 10.9 million Btu’s of energy.
- 4 cubic yards of landfill space.
- 2,500 pounds of iron ore.
Steel takes up to 100 years to fully degrade in a landfill.
Recycling steel takes 25% less energy and creates only 25% the water and air pollution required to produce steel from raw materials.
About 70% of all metal is used just once, then discarded. The remaining 30% is recycled, but after 5-cycles only 0.25% remains in circulation.
The United States throws away enough iron and steel to continuously supply all of the nation’s automakers.
Tin cans are made up mostly of steel, containing only about 0.15% tin and are 100% recyclable.
630 steel cans are recycled every second in the U.S.
Our Gold Sponsors
RCU's Annual Recycling Conference
Head over to the events page
for more information.